surfthechannel.net

blersia
Administrator
One of the most popular streaming video search sites, surfthechannel.net, will be closing down forever on October 1st, its first birthday.

Do you know of any other sites to fill the gap?  Send the URLs to this thread.

-Ben

You received this message because you are subscribed to "Lincoln and Beyond" (LAB), a file-attachment friendly discussion list which has been in operation since September 2004 (March 2005 on Google Groups).  The all-time post count exceeds 44,000.

To post, send e-mail to [hidden email] or reply to anything you've received from the list.  If you arrived here by accident and wish to unsubscribe but don't know how, just ask over the list and one of the six mods will fulfill your request as soon as they see it.

Note: LAB is actively archived, and all posts may be publicly accessible through search engines, or by other means.  Do not post anything you would consider too personal, as any and all content put here is likely to never disappear.

Re: surfthechannel.net

blersia
Administrator
Oops.  I guess it's surfthechannel.com, not .net.  My bad.  Same thing goes, though.

-Ben

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 11:24 AM, Ben P. <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Keaton-2

http://www.hulu.com/
http://quicksilverscreen.com/
http://www.tv-links.cc/
http://www15.alluc.org/alluc/

--
"What do you despise? By this you are truly known."
           -Manual of Muad'Dib

You received this message because you are subscribed to "Lincoln and Beyond" (LAB), a file-attachment friendly discussion list which has been in operation since September 2004 (March 2005 on Google Groups).  The all-time post count exceeds 44,000.

To post, send e-mail to [hidden email] or reply to anything you've received from the list.  If you arrived here by accident and wish to unsubscribe but don't know how, just ask over the list and one of the six mods will fulfill your request as soon as they see it.

Note: LAB is actively archived, and all posts may be publicly accessible through search engines, or by other means.  Do not post anything you would consider too personal, as any and all content put here is likely to never disappear.

Re: surfthechannel.net

TMTD
Joost > websites

[...]

For some things.

I received a Joost invitation a long time ago.  There wasn't much content available when I initially checked it out, but reading on Wikipedia, it looks like a lot more is offered now.  However, from what I gather (correct me if I'm wrong), Joost still doesn't carry:

-- movies/documentaries
-- content from networks with which they haven't made deals
-- abandoned/discontinued shows
-- robot viruses*

With the help of a stream index site ("movie6" or something), I watched the movie Cloverfield with a friend last week... it loaded instantly, and the quality was something I'd expect to see from a 700 MB torrent download.  Using streams found via surfthechannel, I've watched random episodes of Daria, which has been out of production and off-the-air for practically a decade.  And more recently (also thanks to surfthechannel's index), I've been re-watching the short-lived drama Six Degrees -- which, despite its brilliance, was scrapped by ABC (as a serial, it was heavily dependent on return viewers, while shows with non-continuing plots have more staying power -- networks are in it for the money, and shows with a higher level of dedication-intensiveness can't be marketed to as wide of an audience.)  All segues aside: From my understanding, Joost wouldn't offer the Cloverfield movie, Six Degrees, or Daria.

I'm not anti-Joost in the slightest... in fact, I think that from certain angles, a service like Joost is the ideal delivery system.  Joost's video quality is vastly superior to that of most other streams, and its sleek navigation is arguably unmatchable by any site.  Joost is fast, crisp, slick and shiny, and in the cases where it can be used, Joost provides a better overall experience.  But primarily as a consequence of being legal, Joost's selection is a bit limited, whereas streaming sites can cater to those seeking out something slightly more obscure, or slightly more canceled.

I may check out Joost again and use it to watch It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.  That show is fucking hilarious...

-Ben

[...]

I just use Joost when I'm bored and want to watch good programming, not when I want to hunt down a specific program.  They have lots of Adult Swim, Super-Deluxe, Comedy Central, etc programming (and stuff from all other genres and cable networks that you could possibly be interested in).  Of course, if you have a specific show you'd like to hunt down, Joost may not be your best choice, but if you just want a wide selection of good programs then you should consider it.  They have such a vast selection there is surely something you can find that will suit your interest.

I guess if to enjoy Joost you just need the desire to be entertained, and not the desire for a specific movie or show (although there is a appreciable chance they might have that show).

And I think that invitation was from me.

And Joost TOTALLY carries discontinued shows.  The first thing I did when I got Joost (during beta) was watch a shitton of rockey and bullwinkle.

[...]

I'm going to download Joost again sometime this week, and probably enjoy it.

The invitation came from Digg before I knew you.  I was one of thousands who posted in the spamtrap here for an invite (here is a link to my specific post.)

My bad about the discontinued shows.  Also, Rocky & Bullwinkle is pimp.

-Ben

[...]

Dan Honnen
http://movie6.net/movie-/