[LAB:48285] Finally calling it the end of the era

[LAB:48285] Finally calling it the end of the era

blersia
Administrator
Barring unanimous objection, I plan to permanently end the presence of
Lincoln-and-Beyond on Google Groups this evening.

I think we all know that closing this chapter -- hell, let's call it a
novel -- has been a long time coming.  LAB was created on September
15, 2004, when the original members were in high school, mostly at
Lincoln Southwest.  For years, it served us well as a means to shoot
the breeze and keep in touch in a unique way.  Since then, the
prosperity of LAB has tapered off, and what slowly became a trickle
has turned into a desert.  I could say something about LAB's purpose
being superseded by the growth and advancement of social networking
tools like Facebook, but I feel that something natural -- the course
of life -- has more to do with it.  As has always been the case, there
are many avenues we can choose to contact each other, but nothing can
replace what exactly LAB meant to us at one point, in terms of the
atmosphere and the experience.  And because of this, the fact that our
lives have changed so much in the past nearly six years makes the
notion of LAB today, in any form, seem expired.

The group itself will be gone, but all that means is that a group
that's already been defunct in practice will become technically and
officially defunct.  Of course the LAB archives can still be picked
through on the web, and with as many places as they're backed up,
that's not going to change any time soon.  I feel that officially
ending LAB cements it into a definite historical mold, rather than a
ghost town with a skeleton post office that refuses to cease
operation.  I hope that others will see the entire removal of the
group as a more dignified finality than simply letting LAB continue to
exist as a void.

This may well be my last post to Lincoln-and-Beyond.  If you desire,
feel free to post in the next few hours... it's not over 'til it's
over.

Best of luck in the future.  Hope to see many of you around.

Bittersweetly,
Ben P.

--
"The universe is shaped exactly like the earth; if you go straight
along enough, you'll end up where you were."

--
* You received this post because you are subscribed to "Lincoln and Beyond" (LAB), a relaxed, file-friendly discussion group about anything under the sun.  Most members live or have lived in Lincoln, Nebraska.  LAB was founded at Yahoo! Groups in September 2004 and moved to Google Groups in March 2005, where it has since remained.  To date, LAB has received nearly 50,000 posts from countless contributors.
* Please note that LAB is actively archived, and all posts may be publicly accessible through search engines or by other means.  In other words, any and all LAB content is likely to never disappear.

* Please note that LAB is actively archived, and all posts may be publicly accessible through search engines or by other means. In other words, any and all LAB content is likely to never disappear.

Re: [LAB:48287] Finally calling it the end of the era

Mark-36

LAB, you mean more to me then you'll ever know.

On May 8, 2010 4:06 PM, "Hexadecimal" <[hidden email]> wrote:

It was nice knowing you, LAB.

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 4:55 PM, Ben P. <[hidden email]> wrote: > > Barring unanimous objection,...