Cuffed Paper

blersia
Administrator
via http://journalstar.com/news/local/article_83d8f8f6-1e91-11df-accf-001cc4c03286.html?mode=story

There's a new publication in town and its $1 cover price confirms what
most of us have long suspected: A police mug shot does no one justice.

It's called Cuffed Paper. The National Enquirer meets "America's Most
Wanted" -- available at a convenience store near you.

"Find out who's been cuffed for stealin', dealin,' doin', beatin' and
drinkin,'" the brown-paper-wrapper-worthy cover of Edition III
declares.

Feeling dirty yet?

This reader's first thought -- after "arrest that copy editor" -- was:
"Is this for real?"

Followed by: "I wonder if I know any of these people."

Followed by: "I hope none of these people is related to me."

Followed by: "I hope none of these people ever is me."

Does this make cuffed the Anti-Crime Drug? Another reason not to get
yourself arrested?

Or just a way to make a quick buck off public records?

Depends on who you ask.

Lincoln Police Chief Tom Casady has heard about the tabloid but hasn't
seen it.

"I don't mind having the photos of wanted people out there ... but
what's the purpose of alerting the public to someone arrested for
failing to pay child support?"

Lancaster County Sheriff Terry Wagner leafed through an issue a few
months back.

Friends, neighbors and countymen, captured at their worst.

"It's a morbid curiosity people have," the sheriff said.

And, he added, displaying mugshots can pay off.

"All our warrants are listed on our public Web site, and we've had
great success from tips."

Of course, the sheriff's site is limited to those wanted by the law.

Not always the case in Cuffed.

The faces are sorted by their purported crime -- "Sticky Fingers."

Or alleged fashion faux pas -- "Lost My Comb."

Or unfortunate facial lacerations -- "Bumps and Bruises."

The first issue I came across was crammed with rows of sorry-looking
men NBC's Chris Hansen would love to corner in a suburban living room.

Hello, Mr. Registered Sex Offender, have a seat.A later issue was
filled with drug-related arrests ("Doin' and Dealin'"), bleary-eyed
mugs of drunken drivers ("Over the Limit .08") and a couple of dozen
Midwesterners polite enough to smile in the face of jail time ("Say
Cheese").

And although all of the mugged suspects are named, and the sex
offender photos include addresses, there's no publisher's name to be
found anywhere.

A public records search turned up Dustin M. Hitchler as the man who
incorporated Cuffed LCC in November, with an accompanying address that
belongs to a storage locker on South 14th Street.

A person responding to inquiries via an e-mail address listed in
Cuffed asked to be identified only by his first name "due to the sex
offenders we list in the paper."

(We've respectfully declined.)

The e-mailer who may or may not be Hitchler said the paper "is a
business endeavor and for entertainment purposes only."

But at least one Lincoln defense attorney doesn't find the paper
entertaining.

"There are people who are mentally ill in here," Korey Reiman said.
"People who are homeless, and we're making fun of their hair? This
person (the publisher) doesn't even have enough courage to put his
name out there."

The attorney learned of the paper when a colleague handed him a copy
of the Feb. 14 issue.

One of Reiman's clients was on the cover.

When he called to break the news, "my client broke into tears."

Happy Valentine's Day.

Reiman has brought Cuffed to the attention of fellow attorneys and
made it his mission to challenge its legality and engage its
publisher.

Prior to Friday, Cuffed's Facebook page invited public debate. Some
supporters lent encouragement. Others challenged the premise of the
publication -- embarrassing people who commit misdemeanors, using
their plight to make money.

Then the Facebook page disappeared.

In the publisher's defense -- and everyone deserves one -- the paper
is more than a who's who of alleged and convicted scofflaws.

The faces of missing locals and the county's Most Wanted both get
prominent billing.

And all of those mug shots are out there somewhere already -- some of
them published by this newspaper, others on the county's site or
available from the county jail.

The paper is modeled after similar publications around the country,
Cuffed's e-mailer said.

About 6,000 copies are sold monthly in 20 locations, the e-mailer
said.

Maybe the paper will lead to an arrest or two. Or maybe it's mostly
gawkin' and rubberneckin' in newsprint.

And you might think that perhaps its publisher would run out of mug
shots soon.

That would be wrong.

Lincoln police made nearly 30,000 arrests last year, Casady said.

Enough mug shots to make Cuffed a daily.

The e-mailer -- Hitchler? -- agreed.

"Other parts of the U.S.A. do such pages once a week instead of once a
month and sell twice as many each week."

Cuffed's publisher has a full-time job and produces his paper on the
side.

He's looking for a buyer.

--
* You received this post because you are subscribed to "Lincoln and Beyond" (LAB), a relaxed, file-friendly discussion group about anything under the sun.  Most members live or have lived in Lincoln, Nebraska.  LAB was founded at Yahoo! Groups in September 2004 and moved to Google Groups in March 2005, where it has since remained.  To date, LAB has received over 49,000 posts from countless contributors.
* Please note that LAB is actively archived, and all posts may be publicly accessible through search engines or by other means.  In other words, any and all LAB content is likely to never disappear.

Re: Cuffed Paper

blersia
Administrator
BTW, I noticed this paper in a gas station at 17th & 'M' a couple of
weeks ago and was going to start a LAB post about it.  Forgot to, but
it's in the paper now so I guess it worked out.

--
* You received this post because you are subscribed to "Lincoln and Beyond" (LAB), a relaxed, file-friendly discussion group about anything under the sun.  Most members live or have lived in Lincoln, Nebraska.  LAB was founded at Yahoo! Groups in September 2004 and moved to Google Groups in March 2005, where it has since remained.  To date, LAB has received over 49,000 posts from countless contributors.
* Please note that LAB is actively archived, and all posts may be publicly accessible through search engines or by other means.  In other words, any and all LAB content is likely to never disappear.

Re: Cuffed Paper

Brandon-7
That's frickin awesome! I hope I'm never in there :p

[...]

Kat-3
Wow. Small world... that's pretty scary.

[...]

Small world? o.O.

[...]

Like how people know people who are Wanted Criminals. Lol.

[...]

Yeah, a lot of people here know Dan.

[...]

I lul'd hard.